How to do a cleanse
What is a juice cleanse?
A juice cleanse is a type of diet that involves consuming only juices from vegetables and fruits juice for a certain period, which typically ranges from 3 to 10 days in an attempt to lose weight and detoxify the body. Deciding to do a cleanse is the first step towards a healthier you.
How do I start?
- Get ready! Preparing your body for a cleanse a few days before starting will help your cleanse go smoothly. Most people experience some sort of detox reaction during a cleanse. These tips are here to make the transition easier.
- Fasting Five days before you start your cleanse, we suggest that you start intermittent fasting. 16/8 is one of the most popular styles of fasting. To start pick an eight-hour window and limit your food intake to that time frame. Most people prefer to eat between noon and eight p.m. That means you will only be fasting overnight and skipping breakfast. In addition to helping your body to get ready for a cleanse, intermittent fasting is also believed to enhance weight loss and longevity, improve blood sugar levels and boost brain function.
- Hydrate Is important that you hydrate by drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day before starting your cleanse, that will help your body acclimate yourself for your juice cleanse, and also transports nutrients to your cells and helps to eliminate hunger and toxins from your body.
- Eat healthy Start introducing more fruits and veggies by including at least a few servings of raw fruits and vegetables into your diet, that will help jump-start the benefits of your cleanse and make the transition smoother and more enjoyable.
- Exercise Move your body. Walking 15 minutes a day can benefit your health in many ways, it can help by burning calories, strengthening you heart, lower your blood sugar, boost immune function, boost your energy, improve your mood and extend your life. If you already have an exercise routine simply adjust your workout to match your energy levels while you are on your cleanse. Listen to your body!
We also suggest that you reduce or eliminate the intake of harmful substances into your body
- Alcohol, dairy, sugar, gluten, fried food, red meat
- Keep coffee intake to a minimum and eliminate all sodas
- Any boxed, canned, and bagged foods containing artificial flavoring, preservatives, and additives are considered processed
During the cleanse
Be consistent and stay on schedule. You will be consuming 6 juices a day. Drink a juice every 2 hours.
Space out your juices over 12 hours. Skipping juices will likely leave you hungry later and may result in your blood sugar crashing. Even if you are not hungry, when it is time for your next juice, drink up.
Day 1 is the hardest. You may be thinking about what you could be eating, should be eating, and want to be eating, these distracting thoughts and cravings usually subside as you complete the day. Go to bed early.
Day 2 usually is the best day. You wake up feeling lighter since your digestive tract isn't as full as when you're eating solid foods. You could also have more energy and mental clarity and you feel confident that you can make it without solid food.
After day 2 You may feel some detox symptoms as we mentioned earlier. These side effects include a decrease in energy, potential mood swings, and aches. Your body is working very hard to release the toxins built up inside you. Everyone's body reacts differently, and you may or may not feel any of these symptoms during your cleanse. Also be prepared for a few extra trips to the bathroom, without solid foods the sugar in each juice draws fluid into your digestive tract, resulting in softer, more frequent bowel movements. This literally gives your body a "cleansing" feeling.
Don’t forget to drink up to replace lost fluids. Drinking up 8 to 10 cups of water a day helps flush out the toxins faster, prevents dehydration and will get you back on track to feeling amazing.
- Occupy yourself as much as possible to keep you from craving
- If your body is not responding well to the cleanse, add some food to balance out the juices. Listen to your body, only do what you can handle, and don’t beat yourself about having a sensible snack and then jumping right back on track with your juices. An avocado, a green salad, a piece of fruit or small handful of nuts will not undo all the good that you are doing. DON’T GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO THIS!
- Getting enough sleep, yoga and meditation can also help.
- If you are a coffeeholic like me drinking small amounts of black coffee and tea are okay!
After the cleanse
Take a moment to pat yourself on your back and celebrate what you accomplished, for your mind and your body. You cleansed and nourished your body on a cellular level and re-claimed your health and wellness.
The final transition stages
The final stage is the transition back to your normal life and diet. As you integrate solid food back into your diet, please be mindful that your digestive system has not processed these foods in a while, so slow ease your way back into eating solid foods again. Your first few days post-cleanse should include lots of veggies and fruits. Foods you should avoid include the first few days: alcohol, dairy, red meat, fried and/or processed foods.
Here are some tips to implement into your new lifestyle ideally before and after the “cleanse”:
- Drink plenty of water, daily
- Eat your veggies and fruits Aim to eat at minimum 3 servings each of vegetables and fruits daily. This will keep your digestion moving along and will provide your body with loads of nutrients.
- Healthy fats and proteins. Consume quality protein sources if you’re eating animal proteins (organic, grass fed, pasture raised etc). Also incorporate healthy fats such as plant-based sources from avocados, olive oils, nut or seed butters. Avoid processed foods, eat whole foods as much as possible.
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Avoid sugar. Consume only natural sugars such as those found in fruits or the occasional maple syrup, honey, monkfruit or stevia
- Walking 15 minutes a day will do wonders. If you are more advanced even better
- Reduce stress, take time daily to de-stress however you choose. Yoga and meditation are great outlets. Positive mind and spirit will get you through these lifestyle changes. Be well!